- Providing breastfeeding preparation.
- Postnatal feeding support.
- Frenulotomy (tongue-tie release) procedure.
- Teacher of Developmental Baby Massage and Movement.
- Trainer for tongue-tie release.
TRAINING FOR PROFESSIONALS
TO PERFORM THE FRENULOTOMY PROCEDURE
Having performed the frenulotomy procedure in my private practice since 2007, under the guidance of the Southampton Tongue-tie Service, I have completed the Train-The-Trainer course for teaching other Health Professionals to perform frenulotomy in infants.
This training will be available to regulated health professionals who have undergone a theoretical tongue-tie course and have an interest and in-depth knowledge of infant feeding.
An NHS contract will need to be arranged for me so the practical training can be provided for you over a number of weeks within your NHS setting until you are competent to practice on your own. The training will include:-
- Discussions about the role
- Observing me conducting clinical and feeding assessments, frenulotomy, associated conversations with parents and record keeping
- You conducting all the above under my supervision with ongoing discussions and learning opportunities
At the end of your training you will:-
- Demonstrate knowledge of local and national policies and guidance to support your practice.
- Show an understanding of local arrangements for referral into your service, preparation of your clinical room and equipment.
- Have demonstrated a number of skills and attained a level of knowledge related to infant feeding assessments, tongue-tie and functional assessment and release.
- Be confident in your communications with parents about your history taking, assessment, discussing your findings and consent.
- Understand the risks and benefit of the procedure, discuss with parents and take action as needed.
- Be aware of your scope of practice, be able to recognise your limitations and when to refer.
- Demonstrate competence in using aseptic non-touch (ANTT) technique in conducting the frenulotomy procedure.
- Understand the role of others helping you during the consultation and procedure
- Identify the immediate necessary action on a post procedural bleed.
- Be able to demonstrate feeding support after the procedure and provide anticipatory aftercare to support improved tongue function and infant feeding.
- Be competent and confident in your skills as a tongue-tie practitioner having been 'signed-off' all relevant competencies and completed a Trainee's Log for each frenulotomy performed.
- Have an understanding on the importance of maintaining skills, personal accountability, competency and record keeping.
- Demonstrate an understanding of local evaluation and audit processes and own role within to monitor effectiveness of the service.
Be provided with:-
- Your certificate.
- Your signed competences.
- Mechanisms and further information to support your ongoing practice.
From £500 per day excluding travel and overnight accommodation.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please do contact me for a further and personalised conversation about costs, contracts and availability.
Professional Indemnity Insurance and Public Liability Insurance is provided by Hiscox Insurance Company Ltd.